I have been using HomeSite for my text/code editor for over ten years and have customized it extensively with scripts and addons. It is a commercial program. If not for my customizations I would probably be using RJ TextEd.
RJ TextEd has just about everything you could ask for in a code editor. Do yourself a favour and download it. You'll be writing better code more quickly and you'll be doing it for free!
RJ TextEd is a full featured text and source editor with Unicode support, syntax highlighting and code folding. The functionality extends beyond text files and includes support for HTML editing with integrated preview, spell checking, auto completion, HTML validation, templates and more. The program also include support for Topstyle Lite CSS editor, has a dual pane file commander, as well as a FTP client to upload your files. Below is a small list of features available.Features:
Below are just some of the features available in the program.
- Auto completion.
- Code folding.
- Column mode.
- Advanced sorting.
- Handles both ASCII and binary files.
- Html wizards.
- Use TopStyle Lite as your CSS editor if installed.
- FTP and SFTP client with synchronization.
- File explorer, text clips, code explorer, project manager...
- Convert between code pages, Unicode formats and text formats.
- Unicode and ANSI code page detection.
- Open/Save UTF-8 encoded files without a signature (BOM).
- Unicode file paths and file names.
- Html validation, format and repair.
- Tools available like syntax editor, color picker, charmap...
There are a many features not listed above. Including spell checking, e-mail support, advanced search with regular expressions and much more.
The program is written by Rickard Johansson in Delphi and is constantly being improved. It's current state is equal or better than most commercial text/code editors.
Added Wednesday 21 October, 2009.