I don't often recommend Microsoft software but here is a program that I use and highly recommend for you bloggers.
Writer makes it easy to share your photos and videos on almost any blog service—Windows Live, Wordpress, Blogger, Live Journal, TypePad, and many more.
- The WYSIWYG editor is amazingly intuitive and simple to use.
- Advanced text formatting features, such as headings and tables, are included in the WYSIWYG editor.
- Extensible via plugins - Zemanta makes a plugin for Live Writer. If you're not familiar with Zemanta click here.
- Auto Save (this feature needs no explanation)
Choice between HTML/XHTML on a per blog basis. This is good if you’re a stickler for clean and well formed code.
- Supports FTP upload.
- Supports date modification, which means you can set a post to publish in the future (or the past if you so choose).
Tag support with a variety of providers, including custom providers.
- Advanced image insertion that supports thumbnails and lets you add some basic styles, such as drop shadow and photo style borders, to your images. You can even apply some more advanced image styling such as black & white conversion, sepia tone, as well as others.
- Video insertion which will come in handy if you’re a vlogger.
- Customizable ping list with trackback support
- In line spell checking
- Multiple writing views including layouts that mimic your blog and a full in software preview of the entry as it would appear on the blog. -- very cool
- Quick switching between views by using their shortcut keys.
You do not need to be a member of Windows Live nor do you need to install any of the other Windows Live software that comes with it.
It does require .NET which is also free. If you do not have .NET on your computer it will install it for you.
Added Monday 06 April, 2009.